How Much Should You Budget for a New Mattress?
You’re ready to create a new sleep retreat, and now you’re wondering about your mattress budget.
The question at hand is, “How much should you budget for a new mattress?” This is a broad question as you can buy one from several hundred dollars to more than several thousand.
How do you decide how much to spend? In this article, we look at the most appropriate mattress budget for your needs.
Consider the Category
The first thing you want to consider when preparing your overall budget is how much you feel like you can afford. You’ll find three categories with a range of pricing.
You also should consider what size mattress you’re looking for because that will adjust your price as well.
- Budget mattresses can range anywhere from $300-$1000. These affordable mattresses are usually made from an innerspring construction, or they are made completely from foam.
- Mid-range mattresses usually range between $500-$1500. These mattresses may also be all foam, innerspring, or even hybrid mattresses.
- Luxury mattresses are just that, luxurious. They are made from high-end materials and are mostly hybrid. You can expect to pay anywhere from $1200 to more than $3000.
Consider the Type
Which type of mattress is best for you? This depends on numerous factors. Do you have back or neck pain? Are you a back, side, or stomach sleeper? Do you sleep with someone else and don’t want to know they are there?
Whether you’re looking for foam, innerspring, hybrid, or latex, you will find budget, mid-range, and luxury options within each category.
Depending on what type of mattress you’re looking for, this is what you can expect to spend:
- Innerspring and some foam mattresses are quite affordable, and they are generally priced around $500-$1200 or more. The quality of the materials will move the price around as will the size of your mattress.
- All-foam mattresses are part of that mid-range category, and they can be foam and even hybrid. Expect to pay between $250 and $1200 or more.
- Latex mattresses are luxury mattresses. They’re mostly hybrid and latex. You need to increase your mattress budget for this category as you can expect to spend between $1000 and $2500 or more.
- Hybrid mattresses will cost you between $1000 and $3000 or more and may combine traditional metal coils with multiple layers of foam.
What to Consider for Your Mattress Budget
You’ll find that mattress prices fall into a wide-ranging budget. As you plan your purchase, you’ll want to think about the following items as you decide on your budget.
- The features affect prices. The more unique the materials, the more you can expect to spend. If you stick with a more traditional or foam mattress, you’ll find you can spend less.
- The size matters a lot. Twins cost much less than kings.
- If your chosen mattress is made in America, you can expect it to cost slightly more than those that are made in other countries.
- Where you buy from affects the prices. For example, sometimes it can be less expensive to buy a mattress online.
- If you have to pay shipping and delivery, you’ll pay more. While many mattresses come with free shipping, be sure and read carefully to make sure you won’t incur any additional delivery fees.
- If you need accessories like bed foundations or box springs, you’ll want to factor this into your mattress budget.
- Finally, consider the return policies and warranties included with your new mattress. If you have a restocking fee, that can add to your cost if you need to return the mattress.
Saving Money on Your New Mattress
You’ll also find a few traditional ways to save.
There are several times throughout the year where you may find sales on mattresses. These times are generally the holidays and include President’s Day, Memorial Day, the Fourth of July, Labor Day, Veteran’s Day, Black Friday, Cyber Monday, and New Year’s Day.
In addition, consider comparison shopping. You can find quality mattresses at lower prices by doing your research.
Purchasing a new mattress is a highly personal decision. There really is no one-size-fits all answer. Age, aches and pains, the number of sleepers, your chosen mattress materials, and your mattress budget all contribute to how much you’re going to spend on a new mattress.
Ultimately, it’s your decision, but you’re now armed with some information on how much you should budget for a new mattress.
Your new mattress is an investment in your overall health and well-being. How comfortable it is will greatly affect your comfort, sleep, and how you feel each and every day.
Now that you have your budget set, are you ready to start sleeping better? Check out our online inventory of new mattresses, and you’re well on your way to a better night’s sleep.
Photo by Filmreal Studio on Unsplash